The Thoroton Society. A Commemoration of its first 100 years. Edited by John Beckett. Nottingham, 1997.
Founded in 1897, the Thoroton Society has been promoting the study of the history, archaeology and antiquities of Nottinghamshire for one hundred years. With a membership of more than 500, and a flourishing lecture, excursion and publications programme, it is as lively today as when, on 1 June 1897, the founding fathers met in the Grand Jury Room of the (then) Shire Hall, Nottingham, to launch the Society. This booklet offers the reader an insight into the life of the Thoroton Society since 1897, and it also includes a brief account of the work of Dr Robert Thoroton (after whom the Society is named), and of local history in Nottinghamshire since the seventeenth century. Members of the Society, and anyone with an interest in the study of Nottinghamshires past should find it a fascinating read.
An online version is also available:
- Foreword by
Myles Thoroton Hildyard, President of the Thoroton Society
- Introduction: County History and County History Societies by John Beckett
- Dr Robert Thoroton and the Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (1677) by Adrian Henstock
- Nottinghamshire Historical Writing, 1677-1997 by Adrian Henstock
- The Thoroton Society by Neville Hoskins
- Conclusion by John Beckett
- Appendix compiled by Geoffrey Oldfield.
Centenary Index to the Transactions, Record Series and Excavation Section, 1897-1997. Compiled by Laurence Craik.
Compiled by Laurence Craik, it is a revised and extended version of his previous index published in 1977. Its main features are:
- Over 10,000 entries in 64 pages
- Relates to Transactions, vols l-100, Record Series, vols l-40, and Annual Reports of former Excavation Section, 1936-40.
- Index to pre-1997 volumes extended and revised
- Separate author/editor and place/subject indexes
- 'Period' groupings for subjects, e.g. 'Bronze Age', 'Mediaeval', 'Civil War'.
Download electronic versions of the Centenary Index
Ordering Centenary publications
Please see the Ordering Thoroton Society publications page for information on purchasing copies of the centenary publications.